Fund Monitors Pty Ltd
© Copyright 2024
Printed: 29 May 2024 5:44 PM


20 Dec 2022 - Performance Report: Airlie Australian Share Fund


Report Date20 December 2022
ManagerAirlie Funds Management
Fund NameAirlie Australian Share Fund
StrategyEquity Long
Latest Return DateNovember 2022
Latest Return5.91%
Latest 6 Months5.92%
Latest 12 Months1.33%
Latest 24 Months (pa)13.48%
Annualised Since Inception10.94%
Inception Date01 June 2018
FUM (millions)AU$404.47
Fund OverviewThe Fund aims to provide investors with long-term capital growth and regular income through investment in Australian equities.

The Fund is long-only with a bottom-up focus. It has a concentrated portfolio of 15-35 stocks (target 25). The fund has a maximum cash holding of 10% with an aim to be fully invested.

Airlie employs a prudent investment approach that identifies companies based on their financial strength, attractive durable business characteristics and the quality of their management teams. Airlie invests in these companies when their view of their fair value exceeds the prevailing market price.

It is jointly managed by Matt Williams and Emma Fisher. Matt has over 25 years' investment experience and formerly held the role of Head of Equities and Portfolio Manager at Perpetual Investments. Emma has over 8 years' investment experience and has previously worked as an investment analyst within the Australian equities team at Fidelity International and, prior to that, at Nomura Securities.
Manager CommentsThe Airlie Australian Share Fund rose by +5.91% in November, a difference of -0.67% compared with the ASX 200 Total Return benchmark which rose by +6.58%.

The Airlie Australian Share Fund has a track record of 4 years and 6 months and therefore comparison over all market conditions and against its peers is limited. However, the fund has outperformed the ASX 200 Total Return benchmark since inception in June 2018, providing investors with an annualised return of 10.94% compared with the benchmark's return of 8.48% over the same period.

On a calendar year basis, the fund hasn't experienced any negative annual returns in the 4 years and 6 months since its inception. Over the past 12 months, the fund's largest drawdown was -16.29% vs the index's -11.9%, and since inception in June 2018 the fund's largest drawdown was -23.8% vs the index's maximum drawdown over the same period of -26.75%. The fund's maximum drawdown began in February 2020 and lasted 9 months, reaching its lowest point during March 2020. The fund had completely recovered its losses by November 2020.

The Manager has delivered these returns with 0.07% less volatility than the benchmark, contributing to a Sharpe ratio which has fallen below 1 four times over the past four years and which currently sits at 0.67 since inception. The fund has provided positive monthly returns 97% of the time in rising markets and 11% of the time during periods of market decline, contributing to an up-capture ratio since inception of 110% and a down-capture ratio of 97%.
More Information

Australian Fund Monitors Pty Ltd
A.C.N. 122 226 724
AFSL 324476
Email: [email protected]