Fund Monitors Pty Ltd

www.fundmonitors.com
© Copyright 2023
Printed: 05 February 2023 8:29 AM

News

30 Jan 2023 - Performance Report: DS Capital Growth Fund

By: FundMonitors.com

Report Date30 January 2023
ManagerDS Capital
Fund NameDS Capital Growth Fund
StrategyEquity Long
Latest Return DateDecember 2022
Latest Return-2.90%
Latest 6 Months2.25%
Latest 12 Months-19.27%
Latest 24 Months (pa)-2.27%
Annualised Since Inception12.13%
Inception Date01 January 2013
FUM (millions)AU$325
Fund OverviewThe Fund aims to deliver an average return of at least 10% p.a. through the economic cycle, with a focus on capital preservation. The Fund comprises a concentrated portfolio of small and mid-cap investments selected through a process of quantitative and qualitative analysis.

The investment team looks for industrial businesses that are simple to understand, generally avoiding large caps, pure mining, biotech and start-ups.

They also look for:

- Access to management;
- Businesses with a competitive edge;
- Profitable companies with good margins, organic growth prospects, strong market position and a track record of healthy dividend growth;
- Sectors with structural advantage and barriers to entry;
- 15% p.a. pre-tax compound return on each holding; and
- A history of stable and predictable cash flows that DS Capital can understand and value.
Manager CommentsThe DS Capital Growth Fund returned -2.9% in December, an outperformance of +0.31% compared with the ASX 200 Total Return benchmark which fell by -3.21%.

The DS Capital Growth Fund has a track record of 10 years and has outperformed the ASX 200 Total Return benchmark since inception in January 2013, providing investors with an annualised return of 12.13% compared with the benchmark's return of 8.65% over the same period.

On a calendar year basis, the fund has experienced a negative annual return on 2 occasions in the 10 years since its inception. Over the past 12 months, the fund's largest drawdown was -15.63% vs the index's -11.9%, and since inception in January 2013 the fund's largest drawdown was -22.53% vs the index's maximum drawdown over the same period of -26.75%. The fund's maximum drawdown began in February 2020 and lasted 6 months, reaching its lowest point during March 2020. The fund had completely recovered its losses by August 2020.

The Manager has delivered these returns with 1.69% less volatility than the benchmark, contributing to a Sharpe ratio which has fallen below 1 five times over the past five years and which currently sits at 0.88 since inception. The fund has provided positive monthly returns 88% of the time in rising markets and 32% of the time during periods of market decline, contributing to an up-capture ratio since inception of 63% and a down-capture ratio of 68%.
More Information

Australian Fund Monitors Pty Ltd
A.C.N. 122 226 724
AFSL 324476
Email: [email protected]